Friday, July 21, 2006

Post Week 3...breaking down, TEN dollar style...

Here's my ten dollars worth of how I see this season-audition-competition-whatever stacking up, thus far...

Dana - still NOT right for this job, whatever it maybe... However, her fighting spirit has thus far been justly rewarded. Is she capable of making that leap from alleged *pop* show quality to *rock* show quality in time? Most will say know. Y'all maybe right. But, I am venturing to say it will be very entertaining to watch! MPB knew what they were doing sticking this one in w/the sharks...

Dilana - My blind pick at the beginning of this all. I still think she has a very real shot at this gig. She seems to be one of the folks here that truly wants to win. And stylistically, one would assume she is a real possibility with what the band might be looking for. Or, is she simply too cliche? My jury, opinon, etc, is still out on D. I will say this, those that knock her voice, stage presence, etc as one dimensional, etc... Well, for whatever reason, it works for her. She does not make me cringe, though sometimes she makes me think, WTF is she wearing, lol... She seems very much in touch with what she wants to put out there, on stage. At this point, I think she is still a top contender for this gig, the it is VERY early.

Jill - In my opinion, she just comes off as trying too damn hard... wailing through every word. Sometimes on key, sometimes not... I fail to really care about her. In addition, fair or not, she looks carictur-ish... Honestly I don't believe she 'looks' right on the stage. Her presence doesn't elevate her beyond her literal petite size. Maybe that seems callous, but it is my impression. And besides, others that lack literal size, I think do make up for it in presence...

Josh - well, on key or not, this is the one that is currently making my ears bleed. I guess they are bleeding to a perfectly pitched and delivered voice?!?!? Well, my ears are beyond *suziefused*... I guess I.JUST.DON'T.LIKE.HIS.VOICE ...oh well. His whole vibe seems off to me, clenched teeth, r&b vocal stylings seem affected. Still has a nice complexion, and I approve of him letting his facial hair grow in...stuble is the only thing I think he currently has working for him. He does not seem, to me, like he really wants to be there. Maybe it's *evil* MBP, but thats my observation.

Lukas - everybody's favorite love him / hate him little Leprechaun. Proven he has the full pallette of eyeshadow or not, I just don't get this cat. Personally, his stagecraft seems affected to me. His vocals while ok, do not grab me. And yes, I have listened to his off show work. While I think they show more variety than what he has presented on show, it is not enough to make me board this train. But like the *Lord of the Rings* and *Harry Potter*, this guys has enough of a fan base for now, that I doubt I will be missed. Also, per OS:I reports, Lukas seems to be given the royal treatment by the band/judges. Likely he is their current favorite. I would caution, the early favorites last year, did not hold on. But, last year was last year, and Lukas is Lukas, so we will see, we will see... The thing I most like about Lukas, is that I think he is truly here to win. That cannot be discounted, and may hold him through, far more than any other.

Magni - The Iceman has arrived. Starting out with a less than stellar premiere showing, Mags has raised his game almost tenfold in the 2 subsequent outings since. That's impressive. I see a subtle charisma here. Not a jump out and grab you kind, but a, wait a minute, yeah, this guy does ROCK kind of thing. I expect if Magni can maintain a steadiness to his performances and show improvements and increased charisma wk to wk, we may have ourselves an unexpeted(fr wk1) contender.

Patrice - good voice. Still lacks anything that resembles making me want to watch her. She seems like a gifted musician though, and would be interesting, I think to see live. Exciting, I somehow doubt. I would not get on a plane to see this. That's my bottom line.

Phil - dirtyPhil. Well, here is where I get squishy! I am in *lurve* with dirtyPhil. Full stop. First class ticket on this train. I have listened to his back catalogue with Lennex, watched off show performances with the same. So I have an appreciation for him off show. At the same time, the charm that he showed in the wk1 reality episode, yet failed to deliver on in wk 1's show, well it seems to have re-emerged, and Bam! I am hooked. There is something to this guy, and I wouldn't count him out of this competition. Though, and I don't think he is alone in this, I don't think his first motivation to be here is to win. Unlike say, Lukas and Dilana. However, if he meshes w/T Lee and the gang... well, noone really thinks they are quiting their day jobs either. I mean the Voivoid tshirt Jason was sporting on stage w/Mr Ritchie, well, that pretty much tells me that the 2, their individual bands, and a short term partnership with Supernova, can be an acceptable reality. Putting this into perspective, I can imagine myself actually traveling to see Lennex, and certainly to see SN with Phil there, dirty or otherwise...go figure ;)

Ryan - Ok, this is a guy, I am all about being prepared to like. I have just not seen anything to make it happen. I honestly don't have ANY issue with anything he's said, done or otherwise. I don't know the guy personally, so I will not judge his character, nor any of the others. Folks have sworn this guy is both a talented musician and songwriter. For this reason, I really hope he makes it to this part of the competitioin. So while I might appreciate the vision of Mr Star in swim trunks, he seriously needs to bring something to the RS stage, or I will not be able to do anything more than admire his rather handsome mug.

Storm - I do have a feeling this chick is coasting, BIG TIME. There is just a gut feeling I have that we are waiting for this gal to arrive. Either that or she is all hype, and no substance. Somehow, I just don't buy it. I am waiting Stormy! I want to like you. I don't care if you dance to ever rockers song, if you are a total attention ho' or if you are the nicest woman on the face of this earth. I want to see you bring it. And since, somehow, as a northwesterner, I have missed you before now, you've gotta bring it now or I simply won't believe you. I was very intrigued by Storms legion of local fan base, and her off show work. Unfortunately, save wk 1, I have been less than moved since. Patiently waiting for change in weather patterns...

Toby - g'day mate, lol... this is one hot bloke. I was medium warm on him week 1, loved him week 2, and totally wondered WTF by week 3. Inconsistent at best, I want to get on this guys train! lol. Not sure I would travel to Oz to see him, but I would be interested in seeing SN with this guy in front. I like his voice, and the overall package is doable, lol ;) I think, he really needs to dirty it up on stage. I would recommend dying his hair really dark...giving us some contrast with his gorgeous eyes... and TOTALLY letting go on stage. Hold nothing back. His restraint on stage...I am not sure what it is...maybe it's just weird in this studio setting. But Toby seems like he could be a top contender here, I want him to work it! And Toby, the chicks *dig* you... just sayin...

Zayra - Well, miss Janet from another Planet, apparently she is hot, talented, can sing - in non rock genre's granted, and has enough attitude to kick some serious ass. Seriously, if this chick could rock, I would be calling her right now to take this thing. Unfortunately, or not, lol, she does NOT ROCK! Either way, I am interested to see what she will bring next week. Will her detractors be given more ammunition? Or will another solid performance force folks to sit on their hands, mumbling incoherently to themselves? Hee, why does neither possibilty disturb me much? And I call MBP *evil*...

No comments: